Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Pre-Combat Graffiti

During our ten day training in Kuwait, SGT Tremain and I walked around Camp Beuhring to examine the graffiti units leave on the concrete barriers before they head north. In several ways it reminded me of touring a museum. I took pictures of about 80 of the barriers; there were at least 300, and that's at Beuhring alone. The art reflects several layers of diversity represented in the units supporting Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. ("Operation Enduring Freedom" is the relatively smaller, but equally respected, mission in Afghanistan.) I will post a few of my favorites here. I like some for purely aesthetic reasons, others show the support from National Guard and Coalition forces. Our unit didn't paint anything; we were kind of rushed through the transition--presumably as part of the "surge" that's taking effect.





















No comments: